grades 7 & 9: electricity
7th & 9th Grade Teachers…
Make a real-world connection to your electricity content standards. Participate in OEP’s professional development for 7th & 9th grade teachers and you’ll tour a power plant and receive curriculum with a classroom teaching kit.
Benefits for Participating Teachers:
- Tour of an Ohio electricity generating power station, facilitated by plant personnel.
- Teaching Kit of Equipment worth over $450: Includes 6 sets of Snap Circuit Pro and other equipment to teach electricity in your classroom.
- Teacher resources: NEED curriculum, OEP lesson plans and student worksheets.
- Five professional development contact hours.
Registration is open to all Ohio Schools. See participation requirements below.
Summer 2020 Program Dates & Locations
Programs are 9:30a-2:30p and include lunch.
Ohio Learning Standards Correlations
- Evaluate an electrical circuit in terms of type, voltage, current, resistance and the transfer of energy to other forms.
- Design, create and compare a series and parallel circuit.
- Demonstrate an increase or decrease in resistance in a circuit.
- Create a closed circuit that includes a parallel circuit and resistance and that shows changes in current and voltage.
- Relate the flow of electrons through conductors and insulators and the concepts of current, voltage and resistance.
- Distinguish between conductors and insulators.
- Explain the two models of electric current in terms of charge and direction of flow.
- Describe how power sources, including batteries, are sources of voltage.
- Demonstrate how a variety of circuits are constructed as well as measure and compare the potential difference (voltage) and current.
Notes on Participation:
- Participation is limited to one time. If you have previously attended this grade-level workshop, you are not eligible to participate a 2nd time.
- You must have a 2020-21 science teaching assignment for the grade-level you are applying.
- Limit of two teachers per school may apply. This may change to one teacher per school depending on the number of applicants.
- Participants will be selected to participate based on your school’s electric utility. Limited space is available to all schools in Ohio.
- You will be notified by May 15th if you have been selected to participate.